Thursday, February 21, 2013

Dining At A Restaurant

Going out to eat at a restaurant is a great experiences.  Although I enjoy cooking, I really like having other people cook for me too!  I also like to try new and different foods and then talk about them with my friends. It starts with an appetizer.  I like to order something small, like a green, leafy salad or a hot, hearty soup.  For the entree, there are lots of things to choose from.  Maybe I will order some spicy chicken, with a side of steamed rice.  Or perhaps I will order a large steak, with fluffy mashed potatoes and brown gravy.  Dessert is the best course, saved for last!  I love sweet desserts, like cheesecake, and cold desserts, like ice cream.  Sometimes I will indulge myself in a slice of rich, chocolate cake, but only after I have had a long rest between meals!

What are some of the things you like to eat when you go to a restaurant?

Key vocabulary:
  • Appetizer (noun): the first part, or course of a meal, usually something small to satisfy the appetite, like a salad or a soup.
  • Hearty (adjective): nourishing, filling.
  • Entree (noun): the second part, or course of a meal, usually something more filling, like chicken, beef or fish.
  • Spicy (adjective): hot or strong in flavor, associated with peppers and/or spices.
  • Steamed (adjective): food that has been cooked using steam.
  • Fluffy (adjective): soft, light in weight, airy.
  • Dessert (noun): the final part, or course, of a meal, usually something sweet like cake, or ice cream.
  • Indulge (verb): to allow oneself a food or experience that is typically not allowed.

Vocabulary Activity:
Fill in the boxes with the appropriate word from the word bank:

Grammar Point:
Adjectives are words that modify or "describe" a noun.  Adjectives are great for making your writing vivid and interesting.  You can picture a piece of chicken, but when I add the word "spicy" to it, you know that it is hot in flavor, maybe you can even picture the color of the chicken or the kind of spices used.  Adjectives are used to distinguish people, places and things from each other.  For example, there may be two boys in the room.  But if I say "The tall boy has a blue shirt, and the short boy has a red shirt" you can easily idenitify which boy I am referring to.

Grammar Activity:
Circle all of the adjectives in the paragraph above.  Create new sentences using ten adjectives of your choice from the ones you have circled.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your entry about food. My mother really likes to dine out, but she is not very adventurous, whereas I like to try new foods. I have gotten her to try Thai food, though.

    The blog has all the important elements.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going out to eat too! I like how you described the food, everything sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete